SPR’s training rides set us apart as a cycling Club; we are one of the few clubs in Australia that is not affiliated with a bike shop facilitating a broad range of opportunities for people to cycle in a group every day. Since its inception in 2009, a key feature of the feedback the Club receives is the need to improve the way our group rides are led. With more consistent, trained and visible ride leaders, the result will be safer, more enjoyable ride experiences for all.
To this end, the Club developed a ride leader development program, with the objectives of:
- developing SPR ride leaders’ knowledge and skills of both ride leadership and core cycling skills
- building the confidence of ride leaders to ensure ride consistency and enhanced decision making during group rides
- growing the pool of capable, confident ride leaders
We are now seeking Expressions of Interest from SPR members who would like to be part of our second public Ride Leader Development Program. The Program consists of three separate but related components:
- Theory: covers the core knowledge and skills required to be an effective ride leader for group rides across the Main, Transition and Development rides conducted by SPR (+/- 2hrs personal time)
- Skills Sessions: out on the bike, learning all about what it takes to be a good ride leader as well as having the opportunity to practice your skills and ideas in a “safe” environment. (3 x 2.5 hours sessions)
- Ride Leader Observations: This will involve you being the ride leader for up to three (3) separate SPR training rides with an observer to determine how you go about deploying your skills and knowledge in the “real world” environment. (2 – 3 ‘normal’ training rides, weekdays or weekends as required)
As a participant, you will get:
- New Skills: You will learn new skills and knowledge about cycling as well as ride leadership.
- Kudos: Be part of the “qualified” ride leader team out on the road.
- Stuff.Upon successful completion, Program participants will receive a custom SPR Ride Leader jersey to be worn whenever you are leading a SPR ride.
- On Going Development: Access to private discussion groups; coaching and skills development; ride-leader only events.
In return, once you have completed the Program, we will expect your commitment to the following:
- Lead a minimum of 2 rides* per month throughout the year
- Be a role model for ride behavior on ALL rides you participate in
- Assist in the recruitment and mentorship of future ride leaders
- Assist in training/observing people for their readiness to take on the role of Ride Leader.
*All prospective ride leaders should note that, from time to time, they will need be called on to lead rides of a lower skill &/or fitness level than their own. This means putting the interests of the Club and other riders before their own.
We are now seeking expressions of interest from SPR members who regularly ride with the Main 2, 3 & 4 as well as Transition groups. We currently have a good number of riders from the Main 1 cohort; we really need to boost our numbers further down the line. While the ability to ride at or above the level of the group you are leading is important, just as critical is the constructive attitude and sound communication skills that are brought to the role. Empathy, care and the ability to encourage others is essential to the success of the ride leader.
In the event we are over-subscribed, the T&D sub-committee will use the quality & content of the EOI’s as well as the need to balance the mix of ride leaders to select the required number of participants. Anyone who is not selected shouldn’t be discouraged; it’s a numbers thing (us) rather than a capability thing (you).
As part of your EOI, we’d like you to outline:
- what you hope to get out of being a SPR ride leader
- why you feel you will make a good contributor to ride leader team
- which SPR group you usually ride with (M2, M3, M4, T), and
- your statement of commitment to the role of ride leader in terms of time to complete the Program and to lead the requisite number of rides per month
We anticipate kicking the Program off on the 27th of October and completing it by mid-December.
If interested, please submit your EOI to email@example.com before 12 October 2018. If you have any questions about the Program before submitting your EOI, please send them through to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you ASAP.
SPR Training and Development Sub-Committee