Calling Main 2, Main 3 or stronger Transitional riders ready to move into Main group riding.
Would you like to boost your riding this winter?
One of the best ways to make performance gains is to set yourself a goal as part of a team. A very popular goal event for many SPR riders – as shown in last year’s group hug above – is the Swan Valley Cyclosportif at the end of June each year – see the BWA website)
It is not racing, but it will allow you to push yourself. A Cyclosportif team usually consists of 6 – 9 riders who start together (30 second gaps are used to separate teams) and agree to ride as one, taking turns at pace-setting so that the team gets to the finish-line as smoothly and efficiently as possible. Food and coffee and a sense of achievement are involved afterwards.
A new training ride has been formed to support riders at these levels keen on training for this 80km or 60 km team event (including help with sorting out teams) (or you may just want to improve your riding during the cooler months).
- The Friday development ride will leave directly after the Main EBR Friday group at 5:30 am from under the southern side of the Narrows Bridge and will proceed at Development speeds i.e. comfortable, steady riding pace for typical Main 2-3 riders.
Garmin link: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/9301244
- Training and support are included with guidance to Shelley and back with designated FDR team time trial type group training along the flat, flowing section of the Shelley foreshore (both directions). The focus will be on teamwork and smoothness rather than out-and-out speed development
- “No drop” policy. Riders who have overestimated their fitness will be accompanied throughout an abbreviated ride
- Those attending the ride should wear club kit – you’ll need it for the Cyclosportif in any case
- The Development ride will only proceed if the weather is clear and the roads are relatively dry.
After the Swan Valley Cyclo, the group ride will continue as a source of training and mentoring concentrating on group craft as well as creating a ride for those who are looking to back up this ride with Saturday to build endurance. It’s a great training opportunity!
Mike Bonner, Jeremy Outschoorn, Kathryn Buckley, Cameron Dawson, Leigh Outschoorn, Greg Murray, and Nicola Parker. Lauren Poat and Roz Ellis will be on deck soon.
While it is a working ride for some, it can be a relaxed, flat Friday recovery ride for others. Feel free to come along and help the club’s developing riders out.