Click Here to add your name to the spreadsheet!
SPR Saturday Ride Leaders
This document summarises the roles and responsibilities of leaders for Main 2, Main 3 and Transitional Groups. It is recommended that these guidelines be followed by the leaders each week to ensure a good group ride. It is proposed that this document remain live, with changes made as required based on ride leader feedback and with approval from the Club Committee
1. It is recommended that ride leaders have at least 6 months experience riding in a group higher than the one that they are leading.
2. At the start of the ride, the two leaders should identify themselves to the group. Talk to the group about ride expectations and behaviours (regroup points, fast sections, opportunities to roll through)
3. If the group is large (>~25 people), it is recommended that it be split in half, with one leader taking each group. Strongly emphasise the reasons for splitting group (safety, size on the road, potential to be split at lights).
4. On the ride, ensure smooth pace is maintained. Don’t be afraid to make forceful suggestions if rider behaviour is not up to standard (not maintaining lines, trying to force the pace).
5. If the group has been split at the carpark, ensure that the groups remain split. Traffic lights, hill regroups etc. may force the groups together and groups will need to be split apart again.
6. Decide on whether rolls throughs can be done safely and actively coach during the roll throughs. This generally means that the ride leader will sit out of the roll through so that they can give advice and instructions. Areas to focus on are creating gaps in the group, rolling off too fast and slowing too much. The roll through needs to be smooth so it is recommended that a moderate pace roll though be used as “practice” early in the ride.
7. Enjoy the ride and encourage others to do the same
I’m happy to lead Main 3 or transitional but would need help on routes as I’m not great with them…any suggestions???
I suggest that the Novice Development Group be added to the ride leaders table as this is a very important intro into SPR. Currently this load is being carried by Carol and Vicky with occasional assistance from myself and John K. It would be good to get a core of 4+ ride leaders for this group so the load is shared and leaders can have a hit out in Trannies, M3 etc on their “off weeks.”
Hope this gets traction…..
Good guidelines for a good experience. Looking forward to my first ride with SPR soon.
Thanks El Prez for the document on the responsibilities of ride leaders. Some good points there, but I still think it is worthwhile exploring a workshop idea.
I’m ok with most of the routes and it would be great to have a second person to assist with ride leading. Email me at email@example.com when you want to lead Main 3 and we can do it together. The weather forecast looks awful, so don’t suggest tomorrow.
You must be logged in to post a comment.